Monday, February 9, 2009

OCLS & Lib. 2.0 from Dec.2, 2008

I tried making an account with Orlando Memory, but due to circumstances
beyond my control, I couldn't sign up. I tried at 2 different computers in
2 different departments here at the Main library. I did make an effort to look
up the pictures from my department where I work. I didn't find them.
So, in the interest of Orlando Memory, I will share this. I remember when I first moved to
Orlando, Florida back in the early 1980's there were many orange groves,
almost everywhere you looked. By and by, over the years, many developments
were built, which meant the orange groves had to go. There are many
times that I traveled through the intersection of Goldenrod Rd. and University Blvd.
and would think about what it looked like back when I first came here to Florida.
Both University and Goldenrod were 2 lanes, and orange groves abounded.
Now both those roads are 4 lanes and there are no orange groves. The road
expansion came after the shopping centers were built there, after the orange
groves were taken away. I know that Florida still has orange groves, but they
are few and far between.
Orlando Memory is important to us especially if you have lived in Florida for
quite a while. You can see all the changes that have happened over the years.
It's quite amazing! For people just moving here, they can catch a glimpse of
what Florida was then and is now. The Orange Seed encourages all of us here
to share ideas and to implement them, and to try to make improvements in our lives.
That makes The Orange Seed important.

No comments: